ASK AN ARCHITECT
DESIGN DILEMMA: HOW CAN WE REDUCE COSTS WHEN BUILDING OUR DREAM HOME?
The time is right to build our dream home to provide more space for our family but the budget is tight! What can we do to plan our dream home while deciding upon cost reducing options? Why should we choose an architect to get the “biggest bang for our buck” when building our dream home?
We provide a detailed estimate of expenses allowing you to pick and choose what features are important to you. Our expertise helps you narrow down these decisions by evaluating your priorities and wishes. Below are some cost-saving items we discuss with you to maximize your budget while respecting your desires.
- SIZE OF HOME
- Cost-savings by reduction in square footage in places it counts
- Added space with minimal cost
- 9’ ceilings vs. 8’
- maximize usable space by using an open floor plan
- SITE LOCATION in a neighborhood that fits same size, style and price of desired home
- COMPLEXITY of geometry: reducing or simplifying design
- low vs. high pitch roofs can reduce labor and time to fabricate
- reduce number of exterior corners/bump-outs
- MATERIALS of high quality and expense along with decorative items that can easily be added or switched out at a later date
- LANDSCAPING plan-develop into stages