New & Next
Architect and photographer Fernando Guerra built the first known drone for architectural photography in 2010. He purchased an inexpensive drone and outfitted it with a high-definition camera and extra engines to take pictures of buildings from above. This early drone had a two-minute capacity, quickly changing the future of architectural design. Drones allow a new look and perspective into spaces with numerous angles and images. Drones are also called “UAVs”, short for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
Exciting opportunities are on the horizon for architects. Drones are now being used within architecture and construction industries. Among many uses, drones are being used for surveying building sites, as transport vehicles, and as marketing tools.
- Costs can be reduced when using drones to make typographic surveys
- There is no longer a need to hire a land surveyor
- Environmental changes below ground can be watched and evaluated
- In 2012, polystyrene bricks were transported at a construction site in France
- Rope bridge for humans was built by a drone in Zurich
- High definition photographs create stunning visuals for marketing purposes
- More accurate data creates stronger marketing materials
Drones provide other benefits for design and safety.
- Adding high definition cameras, infrared scanners, and thermal sensors can be helpful in the design phase of building
- Build better architectural models with more accurate data from 3D drafting and modeling software
- It is a safer option than sending people into unsafe places
Laws on drone usage vary around the world. Regulations regarding flying in the dark, out of the operator’s sight, above certain altitudes, and near other structures or people are common limitations and concerns. Some countries require training programs, but these are in early phases of development.
What form will drones take in coming years? City development and dwellings could look space age with multiple layers of aircraft buzzing through the skies. Talk of lower level human transport, mid-level package delivery, and higher altitude commercial aircraft sounds complicated and exciting. Hopefully, emergent help for undeveloped areas and countries like Africa will arrive soon with unlimited opportunity for human mercy.
“Laws regarding drone use are neither simple nor easy. Being held to high standards of responsibility and integrity are required for the right to use drones.” – Katherin Frankovic, KDE Photography
Do you ever wonder where architects and designers get their inspiration, continuing education, and knowledge on whats’s “New and Next”?
Every June for the past 49 years, over 50,000 design professionals have gathered in Chicago to attend one of the largest trade shows in the design industry. This year NeoCon was held at the iconic Merchandise Mart building. Neocon mainly targets commercial design but there is plenty of information and inspiration for architects and designers in the residential industry too.
During the three-day event, new products are launched including wall coverings, tile, plumbing fixtures, floor coverings, lighting, furniture, textiles, and outdoor products. This is also a good time to learn about advancements in technology that can make our clients’ lives easier.
Home office products focusing heavily on healthy living continue to advance are are well represented at NeoCon including exercise equipment such as the Fit Desk and Wurf boards.
Blinds: Metal, Vertical, Wood
Décor: Cornice, Valance
Drapery: Fabric, Metal, Sheers
Hardware: Brackets, Caps, Finials, Holdbacks, Rings, Rods, Track Systems
Shades: Cellular, Pleated, Roller, Roman, Solar, Woven
Window treatments come and go along with other fashions. Like today’s clothing, there are many “in” styles. In this spring’s issue of our newsletter Blueprint 4.2, window trends were discussed. What’s new and notable are the clean lines of modern treatments, especially in the new track systems, the beautiful and unusual materials available like aluminum, acrylic rods, metal fabrics, and the beautiful sheer but private coverings.
CLEAR ACRYLIC RODS, VESTA
CITYSCAPE DRAPERY TRACK SYSTEM, VESTA
SOLAR SHADES, THE SHADE STORE
COILED WIRE DRAPERY, CASCADE ARCHITECTURAL
FABRICOIL, CASCADE ARCHITECTURAL
Searching for those favorite family recipes just got easier. GE recently launched the Appliance Kitchen Hub as its answer to a Smart Home ventilation system. The system features an LED lit, four speed adjustable 600 CFM vent system with an air curtain to protect the screen and cameras. Located above the stove or cooktop, this 27” smart screen can access grandma, her recipes, and many other exciting features.
GE Appliance Kitchen Hub
“Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” asks Snow White’s evil stepmother. Today, we can have our own magic mirror.
Kohler is proud to announce a new addition to their Smart Home product line! The Verdera voice lighted mirror is first on the market with Smart Home features. This new mirror adds excitement and pizzazz to mundane bathroom chores.
- Smart: set up, control, and personalize on Kohler Konnect app
- Ask Amazon Alexa: adjust lighting, play music, hear the news, get traffic updates, state weather, tell a joke, add items to shopping list,and control other smart home devices
- Optimum lighting: LED, bright, natural, shadow less, task, motion-sensing nightlight, and dimmable
- Voice controlled: hands-free, fully adjustable stereo, and optional manual override
- Three available sizes
Schluter, a growing trend modernizing today’s tile work, is a smart alternative to bullnose or pencil finishes. These stylish 8’-2” strips can be cut to any length and come in different materials, finishes/textures, and colors including metals, colored metals, and PVC.
Created for both indoor and outdoor applications, they are being used in bathrooms, shower niches, floors, stairs, kitchens, fireplaces, balconies/terraces, and any place tile is being laid. In addition to this updated look to finishing tile edges, there are chic decorative strips, wall baseboards, threshold transitions, and special applications for edging and outside wall corners. Accessories include corners and end caps.
Werner Schluter, a master tile installer, opened his business in 1975. Today, Schluter is known for its decorator-look tiling finishes, as well as heated flooring, shower and exterior systems, waterproof membranes, and building panels. Schluter profiles give tile jobs a striking, polished, and sophisticated look.
Video Doorbells * Security Cameras * Security Systems
Safely Answer the Door From Anywhere
RING is a Caller-ID for the Front Door
Two clients this year installed RING video doorbells during new construction.
What’s the buzz about and why does it deserve a look?
WHAT IS RING?
- “Alexa, who’s at the front door?” RING is owned by Amazon and fully integrates with Amazon Alexa.
- Sync the easy-to-use Video Doorbell, Camera, and Alarm Security System together for complete home security OR use RING products separately.
- Install the RING App and operate RING via Apple, Android, or Windows 10.
- RING operates without subscription OR subscribe to the RING Alarm Home Security System for a modest fee with 24/7 professional security and additional features such as recording/saving videotape.
- Hardwired attachment to a computer is not necessary BUT Wireless Internet connection is required to send live video and audio to RING devices via the RING App.
- The customizable system can easily be set up within 15 minutes. Professional installation is not required.
- Enjoy the quality hardware and additional accessories including Night Vision motion sensors, solar chargers, security signs, and much more.
- FCC approved RING provides limited warranties and theft protection.
HOW CAN A VIDEO DOORBELL BE SMART?
- See, hear, and speak to visitors at the door remotely.
- RING Video Doorbell provides instant mobile/tablet alerts of motion or doorbell ring, video of door, and two-way audio allowing conversation with someone at the front door even when away from home.
- Multiple doorbells can be specified and notifications include information on which doorbell shows activity.
- RING Video Doorbell can be shared with other users and on multiple devices.
- RING Video Doorbell can be hardwired to existing doorbell or operated wirelessly via built-in battery. Batteries typically run 6-12 months between charge and low battery reminders are sent via Email and App.
- If Internet connection is disrupted, the doorbell can still be heard inside and out but audio and video data cannot be sent via RING App.
- Multiple color options provide seamless decorating.
HOW CAN RING SECURITY CAMERAS DETER CRIME?
- Three security cameras work with RING: RING Floodlight Cam, RING Spotlight Cam, and Stick Up Cam.
- RING Floodlight Cam provides HD video, two flood lights, remote activation, 110Db alarm, two-way audio with noise cancellation, 270 degree motion sensing, and 140 degree field view.
- RING Spotlight Cam supplies anyplace mounting, four configurations: wired, battery, solar, and mount, two-way talk, motion zones, and lights control.
- Stick Up Cam offers the ability to be placed anywhere.
HOW DOES THE RING ALARM SECURITY SYSTEM OPERATE?
- Indoor and outdoor products integrate seamlessly with each other for complete customizable home protection.
- An indoor security hub with smart sensors including motion activated cameras provide security monitoring.
- Spotlight cameras, floodlight cameras, alarms, lights, and Video Doorbell with 2-way conversation cover exterior protection.
- The reasonably priced security kit includes a base station, keypad, contact sensor, motion detector, and range extender. Additional sensors are available.
- RING Protect Plan includes a modest monthly or yearly fee with no long-term contracts.
- RING Protect Plan provides around the clock professional monitoring alerting you and 911 emergency personnel
- Ring Video Recording saves video up to 60 days with option to download to storage and electronically share with others. Without Ring Video Recording you cannot review video.
- Help police identify and arrest burglars from recorded video footage.
- RING App allows, “Disarmed,” “Home,” or “Away,” programming and designated “Light Zones” viewing.
- Join neighbors in a Neighborhood Watch program via RING Neighborhood App to get real-time safety alerts and crime notices from RING Security, law-enforcement, and neighbors.
- Check your local jurisdiction for information on whether the Ring Alarm System needs a permit.
- Exciting and available soon, new integrated products include flood and freezer sensors and alarm, smoke, and carbon dioxide detectors.
“I chose the Ring Video Doorbell because it integrates fully with Alexa and is hardwired.” – Brian